How To Pick Your Target Prospect For Your Marketing Efforts
Before you start any marketing effort, you must identify your target prospect. Many new marketers feel that they don’t need to go through this process. It is an easy mistake to make. When you are starting out and wanting to build your business, you are looking for just anyone to read your material and hopefully come to you with their credit card ready to buy.
Put Yourself In The Position Of The Consumer
If you were reading an article or a blog post or viewing a video, and you were not relating to the content, would you continue reading? Would you keep watching? Probably not. You would go and search for something more relevant to you; something that felt like it was speaking directly to you, your beliefs, and your vision.
As a marketer, you need to understand this and work hard to identify the prospect that you are targeting. You can do this in a systematic manner. You may also have a very narrow target at first, which feels limiting to your business, but is actually the best thing you can do. You can always expand from there later when you are ready to grow.
Formula For Identifying Your Target Prospect
1. Sit Down And Create Your Target Prospect By Answering These Questions
- What niche are you in?
- Who can I benefit most from being buying my product or service
- Who can I make sales to in my niche?
In a broad niche such as my niche (Home Business), you will need to narrow it down and get more specific:
- Who could I most effectively bring on board to my home business?
- Who can I relate to the most?
- Who can I best speak to their problems, their dreams, their desires
As an example, I am in the home business niche and am looking for others to either join my primary company or buy products that I have to offer. But my passion and experience is about getting out of the corporate world and becoming a successful entrepreneur. So my target prospect is:
- Those people in Corporate America working in cubicles and office
- Those who live in fear of being downsized or having their jobs outsourced to another country
- Those who fear they will not be able to find another job, or feed and take care of their families
- Those that want to get out of the rat race
- Those that want to start their own business, but don’t know how
- Those that want to build a business but don’t know how to market and take advantage of the internet
Could I make this narrower and target just marketing professionals, which is my job in Corporate America? Absolutely. But I have a very broad business background including teaching, programming, business development, and strategy along with marketing and I can talk to many of these areas in my niche. So I’m going with general professionals – those that live in cubicles and offices and yearn for something different, something more.
2. Come Up With Ideas For Creating Content For Your Target Prospect
- Outline what the problems are for your target prospect
- Where do they hang out?
- What books and magazines do they read?
- What are their struggles?
- What do you know that they don’t know?
3. Before You Actually Create The Content, Ask Yourself:
- Would this interest my target prospect?
- Would this solve a problem for them?
- What are the most common questions my prospect has for this topic?
- Will this content speak directly to them?
Then as you create the content, make sure you write it in such a way to meet this criteria.
When you are writing and producing content, do not write to just anybody. Write to somebody – a specific person with specific traits. It is about who you want to work with, who you want to spend time with, which you want to serve to help them do what you do. Do not skip this exercise when you are starting out (or starting over!). Identifying your target prospect and then directing your marketing efforts to them is the most critical part of being a marketer.
P.S. If You Want To Learn How To Develop The Right Entrepreneurial Mindset to Succeed in Your Business, Fill Out Your Information at the Top Right of This Page and Get My Free eBook on the Topic! =====================================>
If you enjoyed this post on How To Pick Your Target Prospect For Your Marketing Efforts, please retweet above and then comment below. If you have a Pinterest account, you can also Pin this below. Thank you!